AN ETERNAL ALLRED HOME

There's no place like home!





Wednesday, July 23, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD!

My dad was born 80 years ago today- July 23, 1928 in Logan, Utah! Eventually his family moved to Reno, Nevada where he spent the rest of his growing up years until he married my mother and they moved to Fernley, Nevada. After graduating from college and a time in the Navy, my dad spent his life working for Nevada Fish & Game. He was and is a hardworker. My dad was widowed when I was 9 years old, as my mother passed away from cancer. (She had been diagnosed with it when I was 3.) After my mom passed away, my dad continued raising his 4 daughters himself, an incredible feat to say the least! He was an awesome single parent! He had surprise birthday parties for us, sleepovers with our friends, bonfires out in our yard where we would sing songs and roast marshmallows. There were always friends at our house. He was a single dad for 7 years, then he remarried. By that time all of my sisters had gone off to college and I was the only one at home. When I think of the amazing job that he did, I am incredibly grateful and amazed.

So, Dad, on this special day I honor you and wish you a "Happy Birthday! I am truly grateful that you are my dad and that I am part of an eternal family. Thank you for the example that you have set for me. Thank you for teaching me to endure to the end, even when life is hard. Thank you for teaching me the value of work and in improving our talents. You are an amazing man! You have so many talents.....fishing, arrowhead making, joke telling, whittling, gardening, canning, collecting, loving unconditionally, etc. Thank you for raising me and teaching me through your example the importance of the gospel. I love you, Dad! You're the Best!

2 comments:

Mindy said...

He shoulda never moved from Logan! ;) Very nice tribute to your pa! :)

Anonymous said...

I was great seeing you guys!
I hope you had a safe trip home!