Since I am out of school and Scott now works "Swing Shift", we have a goal to walk 4 days a week. We usually go around 2 miles, but Scott has decided one day a week, it will be more like a 4-5 mile walk, and 1/2 of it is uphill (which means the other 1/2 is downhill!). Little did I know that was his plan on Monday morning, when we set out to go for a walk. As we left our little court, and headed down the road, Scott let me in on his plan. I can't say I was thrilled because in my mind, I had a 2 mile walk! lol But, I was game and we started off up the hill! As we got to one point, it started to POUR! We knew we were both going to be soaked, so we thought, we'd better turn around. We started back down the hill and I saw an animal laying in the road. I looked at Scott and said, "Was that there when we passed before and I missed seeing it?" Scott assured me, that it wasn't. We also knew that no cars had passed us, so it couldn't be "road kill". As we passed, I thought the animal must be dead, but then it lifted its head a little. It was a tiny little fawn. Newly born, but too weak to go anywhere. It looked like it had slipped and fallen and possibly had a broken leg, as one leg was off in a strange direction from the rest of the body. We looked around to see if we could see it's mom, but we didn't. So Scott called the PD to see if dispatch could call "Fawn Rescue". (This is an organization that, obviously rescues fawns that are in need. Usually they need to be rescued because their parent has been hit by a car, and they won't survive without proper care and nourishment.) While Scott was talking to dispatch, he also asked that some baricades or cones could be brought to protect the fawn, so it wouldn't get ran over, since it was in the road. I, then, went back up the hill to warn cars to miss it as they were coming down, and Scott was going to flag cars that were coming up the hill. As I walked up the hill, I looked over and happened to see a doe coming down another hill, as it got closer to a fence on the other side of the road, the baby fawn tried to get up, but fell again, and rolled over. It also started making a crying noise. We knew it was it's mother. I can tell you that I sure was hoping it would jump over the fence and help it's baby. Scott was hoping it would nudge the baby fawn to get it to be able to get up. We both put distance between us and the fawn and watched as the mother figured out what she was going to do. Unfortunately, it was still pouring down rain and crows were starting to swarm over our heads and landing in the trees. Scott let me know that this was not a good thing. We both continued to keep our distance hoping the mother deer would get to the fawn, but she kept her distance, too. Meanwhile, the fawn had rolled and fallen so much that it was now laying in the gutter, at the edge of the road, and in the rain water that was coming down the hill. The air was getting colder, too. The fawn was getting weaker and weaker and the crows knew it. If we put too much distance between us and the fawn, Scott knew that they would come down and attack it. The city crew showed up and Scott put cones around the fawn and also put a vest over the top to try to persuade the crows to go away, but they wouldn't. In the meantime, the mother deer disappeared over the top of the mountain. We received word that "Fawn Rescue" was going to be at least 40 minutes. That was a lot of time for this fawn to be laying still in cold water. We knew that its life was getting shorter and shorter because we'd already been there for some time. At this point, the Community Safety Officer (CSO) showed up. Up to this point, we hadn't touched the fawn because we wanted the mother deer to not abandon it. They do that because they can smell the scent of a human. Now, that the mother was no where to be seen, and the fawn was getting wetter and weaker by the minute, Scott decided it was time to get it picked up and warmed up so it would survive until Fawn Rescue would arrive. We left with the baby fawn sitting on the front seat of the CSO's truck wrapped up with the heater on. It looked much more content....

.........I'm sure glad that we decided to do the longer hike that morning.!
Unfortunately, they didn't have all the correct details, but it let people know about "Fawn Rescue!.
P.S.S. Sorry, Mindy....I know deer aren't your favorite, but this fawn was pretty precious! I think you would've liked it, too!
3 comments:
Bahaha! The last two posts about deer! The last line made me laugh out loud!
Glad to put a smile on your face, Mindy! :)
Hello:) I have been out of the bloggin world for awhile and am just catching up on what people are doing...Sounds like Scott was inspired in more than one way to lengthen the hike, eh? Glad to hear you guys are doing well:)
Post a Comment