AN ETERNAL ALLRED HOME

There's no place like home!





Friday, March 13, 2009

AN EXCITING DAY...

Last Friday we had an exciting, and emotional day at school.
We had a true "LOCK DOWN".
When I heard over the intercom,
"Attention, Lock down your rooms immediately!
This is not a drill, this is for real!".

My first thought was protecting the kids at all costs.
I wasn't in my regular classroom at the time.
So I had to use my intuition of what to do in the situation I was in.
(We never know where we are going to be if the situation comes up so, this was good practice!)
Anyway, I was with the middle school girl P.E. students.
(I have locker duty with different classes twice a day.)
The first thing was getting all the girls back into the locker room.
(Some had gone outside to get ready for P.E.)
I locked the girls with another aid in the locker room and quickly went and locked the doors that I could in the cafeteria. There was also a 4th grade class in the cafeteria having P.E., so the teacher was locking doors and I helped her get all of the students safely upon the stage.
It was interesting watching who of the students thought it was real and who thought it was just a drill. There was even staff questioning if it was real or not.
As for me, I went into "Protection Mode".
I didn't even think about my own safety.
Just the safety of the students and keeping them calm, yet making sure they knew that it was real, but we would keep them safe.
We stayed in Lock down for about 5-10 minutes and then were told over the intercom that the lockdown was over. The students quickly started going to where they needed to be and then once again we were told to "LOCK DOWN". There was more panic in the students the second time, as they could see that this really was real. We had students crying and upset. Fortunately, this time when they said it was over, it was. But, it left a lot of students with questions of what had happened, and "What if?"

As I thought of this, this past week, I'm so grateful that I don't have to think about these questions in the eternal realm of my life. I know of the plan and there are no "What if's" only "What there is to be" because I have a Savior who presented a perfect plan to me, and I accepted it.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

That sounds like WAY too much excitement - if you could call it that. You are a lady to have around in a crisis! I'll remember that.

Mindy said...

Oh, my word! What actually happened then???

Allred Mom said...

Fortunately, it wasn't someone with a gun! :-) We had a student go off the "deep end". He tried to attack another student and in the mean time, took out his teacher. They tried to control him
and couldn't so they locked down the school to keep other students and staff safe. They also locked it down until police could arrive. Is that exciting or what!