AN ETERNAL ALLRED HOME

There's no place like home!





Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Resolutions and Christlike Attributes

So, as this New Year has begun and is close to being 1/12 over already, I've finally decided to look at some resolutions that need to be made in my life! Yes, I'm a little slow! But, I have also found that my New Year's resolutions usually only last about a week....and that might even be pushing it. So this year, I decided no New Years resolutions! I will just make changes for the better in my life a little at a time and not try to do it all at once, where I fail. So...what is something that I have done well so far in the last few weeks? Exercise! I have been getting up at 5:20 a.m. and faithfully with my spouse going on a 2 mile walk! What a great way to start the day! I know, some of you may think that is pretty early, but it's an hour later than when I taught "early morning seminary". On those days, I would get up at 4:20 every morning. (After 9 years, I decided I was ready to sleep for an hour longer! I can tell you an hour can make a big difference! lol)
Now for the BIG RESOLUTIONS!
I'm working on having more attributes of the Savior. For FHE, we read in the "Preach my gospel" book the chapter on "Christlike attributes". These attributes included: Faith, Hope, Charity and Love, Virtue, Knowledge, Patience, Humility, Diligence, and Obedience. When I thought of these things, I thought I was doing pretty well. But then I read each of the definitions in the book and I did the "attribute activity" at the end of the chapter. I could've gotten depressed reading definitions, and doing the activity, because it showed me that I have so much work to do in my life! At first I did, But, then I realized that all I have to do is try my best to become more like Him every day, and that He will pick up the rest. Even if my process is a very slow process, as long as I do my part, He has promised to do His. That is such a wonderful thing. That is the first step in becoming like Him. It is trusting Him enough. We often hear the saying of "What would Jesus Do?". But, I think more importantly is the acknowledgement that we don't need to say that because we Know what He would do. We Know Him so well that we've become more and more like him in every aspect of our lives. We don't have to question, because through our every day improved righteous living we eventually become like Him.

So...as 2009 continues, I hope that I truly can become more and more like the Savior each and every day. I hope that I can bite my tongue, when I really want to say something I shouldn't. I hope that my faith increases no matter what the storm, I hope that I can see the best in all people, and forgive them when they have offended me, I hope to be diligent in my obedience and be humble and submissive to the Lord's will. As I do this, I know that I will feel the Savior's warm embrace around me, because he didn't send me here to fail! He is there for me with open arms.

P.S.......I just need to become just like my grandchildren! They have all the attributes of the Savior! I hope they rub off on me!

3 comments:

Alan and Lynette said...

So...I took a blogging hiatus...didn't blog and didn't read blogs...thanks for this message of HOPE...I love that you put so much emphasis on hope for better things...

Mindy said...

Love the layout. Good resolutions. :)

Cody and Jen said...

Well hello Ms. Congeniality!! I love the post on Marilyn's blog. Now I want to hear your side of the story!! :)